Wedding Toasts from the Best Man
During the wedding reception, the best man often serves as the master of ceremonies. The best man is expected to offer a pleasant and sincere message, creating a tribute to the wedding couple which includes both wit and sentiment. While you and the groom may have a history together which includes some heavy duty partying, this is not the time to recount it. A personal story about a shared experience with the couple, perhaps including something humorous, is appropriate. If you are unable to come up with an anecdote, mention a favorite quote or song lyric which will convey something meaningful about the couple.
Remember the wedding isn’t about you, the best man - it’s about the couple. You will only lose the guests’ attention if you talk on and on. This is a time when brevity is best, so limit your best man speech to a maximum of three minutes.
Here are a few short quips and quotes to blend in with your speech:
- Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen. Before I begin, let me just say the formative years I spent in the company of the groom would indicate he has had as much influence in developing my sense of humor as anyone. So, although I have tried to make this speech funny, please blame Jack if it’s not.
- Here’s to my friend! Today I had the honor to stand beside him on this most important day, as he has so often stood by me in good times and bad. I wish him and his lovely bride nothing but happiness, prosperity, and good health for as long as they shall live.
- What can you say about a man who came from nowhere and is now rising to the top of his profession based solely on intelligence, hard work and willpower? A man who is distinguishing himself among his peers who say nothing but good about him? Well, that’s enough about me. Today I’m here to talk about Howard.
- The trouble with being the best man at a wedding is that you never get to prove it.
- It’s not as great a day for the bride as she thinks. She’s not marrying the best man.
To the Bride and Groom:
- The man or woman you really love will never grow old to you. Through the wrinkles of time, through the bowed frame of years, you will always see the dear face and feel the warm heart union of your eternal love.
To the Bridesmaids: Toast by the Best Man or Father of the Bride
- A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Here’s to these beautiful bridesmaids. We esteem them for their beauty, respect them for their intelligence, adore them for their virtues, and love them because we can’t help it.
To the Bride:
- May she share everything with her husband, including the housework.